Dr. Bacteria teaches how to sanitize the 4 dirtiest places in the kitchen
A study done by the University Drexel, in the United States, has revealed the four corners of his kitchen where bacteria accumulate: refrigerator, dishwasher sponge, sink and chopping board. However, with some care it is possible to keep everything very clean and away from these microorganisms. Who teaches to take care of this environment of the house is the biomedical and microbiologist Roberto Figueiredo, the famous Dr. Bacteria.
Researchers have discovered that meats are the main villains in this story. They contaminate both the appliance and other foods in the refrigerator. Therefore, it is important to maintain a refrigerator cleaning routine, as Figueiredo advises:
- At least once a month, turn off the refrigerator and remove all food to clean
- Prepare a solution of 1 liter of water with 10 drops of detergent and wipe the refrigerator with a cloth
- Also prepare a solution of 1 glass of white vinegar with 1 glass of water and wipe the refrigerator with a cloth. Then wipe another cloth moistened with water
- Prepare a solution of half a glass of water with 100 g of sodium bicarbonate and apply with a cloth on the inside of the refrigerator
- Finally, place on the first shelf, right, an open container with baking soda powder and ready, just put the food back and reconnect the refrigerator.
According to the study, 64% of sponges are contaminated by some type of bacteria. Researchers warn that the biggest problem is to use the sponge to clean other kitchen items, such as the stove or the sink, for example. This allows the bacteria to spread through other corners of the kitchen. To prevent this from happening, Dr. Bactéria points out that these sponges should be used for a maximum of one week. Here are ways to get rid of bacteria:
- Place the sponge in a pan with water and a spoonful of white vinegar. Light the fire and count for 3 to 5 minutes after starting to boil. Ready, sponge free of bacteria
- Wash the sponge and leave it damp. Then wrap in paper towel, put in a saucer inside the microwave, turn on the maximum power for 5 minutes. Then wait another minute or two to remove
- Leave the sponge in a 1 liter solution of water with 2 tablespoons bleach for 10 minutes.
During the research, E. coli bacteria (Escherichia coli) were found in 44% of the sinks, a microorganism responsible for causing gastrointestinal problems and poisoning. "This is because utensils are in contact with water all the time and places with humidity are preferred bacteria," explains Dr. Bacteria.
Moisture is responsible for stimulating the proliferation of germs and bacteria, but the food waste is they end up feeding? proliferation. Dirty crockery, wooden boards and spoons, sink corners, are classic examples of places that accumulate leftover foods and generate cross-contamination. "To avoid this problem, pull the water with a sink squeegee and avoid wiping it with water that will leave water in the sink," he points out. . Cutting board
Already 23% of the cutting boards, according to the survey, were dirty and 76% of them had creases or cracks that ended up accumulating even more dirt. "Avoid using wood boards because they suck up water and become very humid, taking time to dry and increasing the chances of bacteria proliferation," says the expert. See other tips for using boards without error:
Use plastic boards and divided by color, for example: red for meat, green for vegetables and fruits, white for ready meals, etc.
- After each use, wash with water and mild detergent and sponge. Rinse well and sprinkle or soak in pure white vinegar, or in bleach solution (two tablespoons per liter of water). Let it drain and dry. Replace the board whenever it is very scratched or stained. Note Passing a lemon on the cutting board helps remove stains
- For glass boards, wash with water, detergent and soft sponge. To disinfect, use the same methods described above. Boiling water may also be used. Replace when broken or chipped.
Symptoms of Crohn's disease in children Boy with hand in mouth refusing to eat - "Photo: Getty Images" Crohn's disease in children can appear at any age, but is more incident after age six. The symptoms, according to gastroenterologist Marta Brenner Machado, president of the Brazilian Association of Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's disease, are the same as those of adults: "The most common are bouts of abdominal pain, diarrhea with bleeding and mucus and fever, but other symptoms may be observed, "the specialist says.
According to Ministry of Health data, prostate cancer is the second most prevalent neoplasm among Brazilian men, falling behind only and the second most lethal type of tumor among them. The study involved 5,366 men diagnosed with prostate cancer from 1986 to 2006. The survey found that patients who smoked had up to 61% more chances of dying from the disease than nonsmokers.
- Last goodbye: in hospital, dog says goodbye to terminal owner
- 6 Lies that those who live with sleep need to stop believing
- Understand the headache that happens during the menstrual cycle
- 6 Symptoms of atrial fibrillation that should not be ignored
- Volunteers donate affection to babies who were born "drug addicts"