Preventing and Relieving Back Pain in Pregnancy
There are several changes in pregnancy in the pregnancy. woman's organism, not only hormonal and emotional, but also physical, standing out the postural changes. The phase generates some very typical discomforts of pregnancy: the growth of the baby increases the weight of the woman, causing a frequent incidence of back pain and also in other regions of the body.
It is natural that the pregnant woman undergoes changes in her body to accommodating and nourishing the baby (change in the center of gravity, pelvic rotation, increased lumbar curvature and greater elasticity of the ligaments), and if body structures are not well prepared for these changes, pain is unavoidable, especially in the lower back . These painful reactions can also be due to muscular tensions, due to postural deviations already existing or acquired during the gestational period.
How to avoid back pain in pregnancy
But the pregnant woman does not have to live with these discomforts, since the effects of the changes can be mitigated. A light to moderate exercise program during pregnancy provides health benefits for the woman and the baby, focusing on the stability of the postural muscles and pelvic floor, as well as strengthening and gentle stretching of the muscles. With increased muscular endurance and flexibility, the woman becomes able to better support weight gain and postural changes resulting from that period.
- Maintain a balanced diet to control body weight
- Avoid the use of
- jumps do not stay too long stopping. The ideal is to exercise and stretch during the day
- Care of the posture, avoiding postural defects
- Place a pillow between your legs whenever you sleep on your side.
Physiotherapy for pregnant women with pain in their Back
Even if regular physical activity and due care is taken to have a healthy gestation, the pregnant woman still has persistent back pain, physiotherapy can help relieve the symptom. However, to start the sessions it is essential that the pregnant woman receive the release of her doctor of trust and gestational follow-up, after a proper evaluation to avoid harming the health of the mother and the baby. From this point on, the physiotherapist can direct care to the pregnant woman according to the data obtained in the previous evaluation of her condition.
Questions such as family history, history of pregnancy up to that moment, and the physical and posture of the pregnant woman are analyzed
Respiratory exercises for relaxation, postural correction, flexibility, stretching exercises, as well as exercises for metabolism and preparation for childbirth are part of the program. physiotherapeutic treatment for pregnant women suffering from back pain.
Other physical therapy techniques can also be used to relieve pain, such as manipulations and massages, all applied respecting the conditions of the pregnant woman. The work performed stimulates the muscular strength gain of lower limbs, upper limbs, lumbar, abdomen and also the pelvic floor.
Check the varied benefits of physiotherapy for pregnant women
- Decreases the incidence of back pain in the joints, legs and feet
- Improves posture
- Reduces possible bumps and cramps
- Extends body awareness
- Stimulates blood circulation, improves circulation and relieves nervous tension
- Minimizes propensity for complications such as hypertension and gestational diabetes
- Helps maintain physical condition prior to gestation
- Increases readiness for day-to-day activities
- Promotes childbirth and postpartum, making these moments much calmer
- Reduces stress levels
- Provides mental well-being
- Controls weight
- Increases self-esteem
- Improves sleep quality
- Strengthening, especially, pelvic floor muscles, helps provide greater weight support extra pregnancy and to prevent urinary incontinence, as well as being extremely important for normal delivery and also to prevent postpartum complications.
The journal Pediatrics recently published a study from the University of Illinois, in the United States, showing that physical activity is a great remedy for people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). They ensure that regular exercise has improved cognitive performance and brain function.
At some important times in our lives, we are surprised by unexpected situations. These unforeseen events can often have repercussions for our entire lives. One of these situations is called Premature Birth, which is when the baby is born before the ideal time. The normal time of human gestation is between 38 and 42 weeks.