Man needs to amputate foot after infection of meat-eating bacteria
Professor Raul Reyes, 26, is recovering after a foot amputated by an infection caused by meat-eating bacteria.
The case occurred in February 2018 in Texas, United States. Although he found it very strange to have an agreement on an ordinary morning with his swollen feet, Raul and his wife, Joseline Reyes, were not worried: "We thought it was strange, but I imagined everything would be fine and I went to work," he told BuzzFeed News.
So the man continued his work routine even with swollen feet. However, after a few days some blisters began to appear on the spot and the pains became so intense that he started to use crutches to get around, because supporting his weight on the infected foot was very painful.
Despite all the pain, Raul he still believed that the wound would heal naturally. According to him, it had never occurred to him that it could endanger his life.
"We view the situation only as a swollen foot case.We use medicines like hot water, bath salts and apple cider vinegar" , told about the home treatments he performed.
After three days since the onset of swelling, the boy noticed that his sock was wet. When he pulled back, he noticed his foot was covered in yellow blisters and there was pus and blood coming out of the wounds.
As he tried to clear the area, Raul ended up putting a lot of pressure and one of the blood bubbles bursting. "My skin was torn out and it was only a hole. I told what happened to my wife and we both started to freak out."
The next day he decided to go to a clinic for the wounds to be drained. However, as soon as they saw his foot they said that he could not do anything and he should go to the emergency room because what was on his foot was a meat-eating bacterium.
When he arrived at the hospital, Raul was informed by the doctors that he had a bacterial infection caused by necrotizing fasciitis, popularly known as the "meat-eating bacteria," and that if it was not treated urgently it could spread to other places.
After X-rays and blood tests , experts said that surgery was the only way to remove the infection. "They thought they were just outside my foot, so they said they would try to save as much as they could, but they said that if the infection showed deeper they would have to amputate my foot, I was shaking and crying from the shock" , said Raul.
Due to the severity of inflammation, surgeons had to amputate Raul's foot to prevent bacteria from entering the bloodstream. "I woke up surrounded by doctors telling me that they felt a lot and that they tried everything they could," he revealed.
It is not yet known how the man got the infection, but meat eater bacteria can be found in dirty water and they can enter the body through an open cut or wound. "They asked me if I came in contact with dirty water or if I went into lakes or rivers, I did not even get close to any of it - I was just living "The young man left a piece of advice for all people after his tragic experience:" Take care of your wounds, because they can be dangerous. "Do not wait as I expected. that if I had not been admitted to the hospital when I entered, I would probably be dead the next day. "
The country is experiencing a worrying situation in the face of growing records of new cases of yellow fever, deaths from the disease and the expansion of the yellow fever vaccination campaign. Below, follow the updates of the new cases in the hardest hit regions in Brazil: Minas Gerais On Thursday, April 12, the Ministry of Health updated the information provided by the state health departments on the situation of yellow fever in the country.
For the study, scientists injected stem cells, which have the capacity to self-renew and become split, pre-treated mice to produce more than one protein called PD-L1, deficient in mice and people with type 1 diabetes. Scientists observed that contact with stem cells made it possible to reshape the immune system.