Do you know the difference between a psychologist and a coach?
Globo's novel "The Other Side of Paradise," broadcast at 9 pm sparked a controversy: a lawyer who is a coaching expert is treating a young woman's trauma to the sex, which the characters do not know, but is linked to child sexual abuse. The State Council of Psychology of Minas Gerais (CRP-MG) stated that:
"(...) the novel in question suggests as a" quick fix "and as a" tool to extract the truth "the practice of coaching CRP-MG emphasizes that such practice is not an adequate tool to deal with psychic problems, mental disorders or any other type of emotional fragility that demands care and treatment, as indicated by the Psychological treatment, yes, is capable of interfering with the perpetuation of suffering, bringing restruc- turing and resilience to the victims of abuse. "
Thus, it is normal to ask: what is the difference, after all, between a psychologist and a coach? Or even try to understand what each professional does. In this article I want to clarify any possible doubts, since I have training in both areas.
If you feel sad or even have symptoms perceived as problems, the ideal is the search for the understanding that is being with you, since in addition to mental, there may even exist a physical component and medical needs. A psychologist may better analyze your psychic conditions to indicate a treatment. Coaching sessions are not ideas for "treatment" because there is no disease, but a preventive work of excellence and well-being.
What is the area of action of a coach?
is something malleable, since there is no responsible body. For example, psychology is the Federal Council of Psychology, which is "an autarchy that aims to" guide ", discipline and supervise the practice of the profession of psychologist and watch over the faithful observance of the principles of ethics and discipline of the class. When there is a body that supervises a profession, the requirements are numerous, as there are several obligations, duties, rules and norms to be fulfilled. The coach, the NLP trainer and the hypnologist, for example, who are not governed by this model of oversight, are out of this process. In this way, the area of action is somewhat flexible.
The coach's focus is usually on the solution of continuous improvement and not on healing problems properly. There is no anamnesis, an evaluation in the molds of medicine and psychology. The idea is to stimulate the coachee (client of the coach) to the development for the meeting of excellence in the areas of interest, such as:
- Among others. > The most well-known format of coaching sessions involves meetings with predetermined number of sessions, since the model follows a pre-established sequence that goes beyond the look and individualization of the coachee. The coach conducts the process based on precise questioning methodology that encourages the coachee to think and find their way back. There is no analysis or opinion of the coach, much less any kind of intervention is done through counseling.
And what is the difference of the coach to the psychologist?
In psychological care, beyond the rules and look at the advice of psychology , the model varies according to professional training, psychoanalysis, ericksonian hypnosis, cognitive behavioral, etc. For some psychologists, the sessions begin with evaluation of tests, an extensive anamnesis of understanding and mapping the life history, family, including physical health. Other sessions include reflection, analysis or even tasks and methods of outcome evaluation.
The care for healing occurs after a diagnosis, a greater understanding than the problem presented. During treatment, the tools used can be from a variety of sources, provided that it is of the choice, training and knowledge of the psychologist. These trainings are usually made after the college period, such as specializations, masters and etc.
Can you do both?
The clinical psychology care model can be done and followed parallel to the coach's care. The treatments are complementary, precisely because they are different means of improvement and emotional well-being. One process does not exclude or invalidate the other, on the contrary, it strengthens and brings good results.
When one thinks of the appointment of a professional, for example, for a coach to indicate that his coachee does psychotherapy or even psychiatric treatment It is interesting to think of some points:
Not always the training course of this professional teaches which professionals can and should be indicated and for which cases. That is, the coach is not always able to understand the human mind better to be able to indicate the treatment to be done. Sometimes it is only necessary to have the common sense and individual capacity of the practitioner to perceive his coachee to a possible indication of treatment, much more than an established rule.
- It is necessary to take into account that for some professionals who are not yet very experienced, the indication for a treatment outside the coaching process is synonymous with non-success, the final result, as if this were a serious problem, which should never be, because when you have more experience in coaching you can see what I believe strongly, the work adds up to the best result.
- No treatment is miraculous
- I share that I already have 20 years of work in the area of clinical psychology and 15 years of acting in the area of coaching and in these many years of work I realize that the formations are always welcome to update the content to be offered during treatment. The coaching tool, for example, is just one among many in the process. The focus is, and should always be, on what the customer wants to improve and on the individual dynamics of each. And this learning is constant, because the professional must go far beyond the "fashion technique."
Today an emotional technique becomes famous and posited as "miraculous", and then it is discovered that healing does not happen in a simple magic pass and that it takes attention, change and awareness of one's own life in order for something to actually happen in a lasting way. But this morning there will be space for other techniques to be created to replace it and an attempt at a new miracle cure. And so, it follows a constancy of creations of good tools, but sold as a single solution rather than complement with excellence. Understanding the human being with attention, listening and guidance makes a difference in the result.
WELL-BEING treatments classified as integrative and complementary practices at the federal level. In all, there will be seven new treatments, which integrate the National Policy of Integrative Practices of the Unified Health System (SUS). They are: art therapy, meditation, music therapy, naturopathic treatment, osteopathic treatment, chiropractic treatment and reiki.
Feeling sad all the time, lack of courage to do things you like and willing to always be alone are just a few of a potential candidate's suicide. Being considered a major public health problem, the fight against suicide has increasingly become a priority for governments. This month the "Yellow September" campaign of suicide prevention is carried out, which aims to alert the population about the reality of suicide in Brazil and in the world.
- Omega-3s help keep our body healthy
- Do not expect separation to change what is bad in the relationship
- GH: Benefits of the hormone and how to increase production naturally
- More than 790,000 cases of cancer in the world are associated with diabetes and obesity
- Marilene Saade receives discharge and recovers at home