The American Academy of Pediatrics (American Academy of Pediatrics) warns of the prevention of sudden infant death syndrome
The purpose of the analysis is to alert parents who often fall asleep during the feeding of babies, which can result in a tragedy . "We hear stories of parents who take their babies to the couch to feed them because they are afraid that they will fall asleep if the food is made in bed, but the couch is a much more dangerous place for this to happen and we wanted make sure parents are aware of this, "said Rachel Lua, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Virginia Medical School in the United States.
This scenario may be particularly common for breastfeeding mothers. "The breastfeeding process makes a mother sleepy, physiologically. We recommend that she feed the baby in bed, because feeding the baby on a couch or an armchair is more dangerous if she falls asleep," said Lori Feldman-Winter, a professor of pediatrics at Cooper Medical School and co-author of the AAP statement.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome happens when the baby is asleep and little is known about the exact cause, but there are indications that it is triggered by greater tendencies of choking, due to genetic and physical characteristics of the child. Doctors believe it is easier to monitor the baby when he is around.
In the United States, about 3,500 babies die each year from SIDS and sleep-related accidents, such as asphyxia, with 90% of cases occurring in the first six months. The advice given by the American Academy of Pediatrics is that babies sleep on their backs, on firm surfaces, use bedspread just on the mattress, with few accessories inside the crib, and should never be left asleep on the couch or armchair.
Your pediatrician is your child's first doctor, who will follow for many years his or her development, sometimes until adolescence or even more. Because of this, it is very important that parents know how to analyze the main factors for the choice of pediatrician. To help you with this important choice, I've put together some tips that should be taken into account, such as: Search, talk, ask friends and relatives.
In mid-November 2015, a homeless person suffered a widespread infection and was rushed to Ruth Hospital Cardoso, in Balneário Camboriú (SC). Negão, his faithful animal companion, accompanied the ambulance to the hospital, where he watched his owner be taken in. And not to go out. Negão's owner died hours after being hospitalized, but the dog decided to wait in the hospital.