Strategies for driving without causing overload and muscle pain
In several cities of the country, residents live daily with traffic jams. In big cities such as São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, thousands of drivers spend more than an hour driving every day. Therefore, many people complain of muscular pain at the end of a journey like this.
When it comes to traffic jams, adopting an adequate posture is fundamental. This, in addition to avoiding overload on the joints, prevents stress and muscle strains. Therefore, all care is important for the posture when driving. Not only for spine health, but also to improve motor performance and attention when driving.
Before getting into the car some care is needed:
- The seat should be so that the spine remains fully supported and relaxed. This care avoids injuries to the muscles of the neck and spine joints.
- The backrest should be adjusted according to the height of the driver, positioning the top of the driver in the line of the eyes. This position prevents head movement back and forth, protecting the neck from injury in the event of a rear-end collision.
In addition, other care is required while driving to prevent injuries and pains in the spine, neck, shoulders and knees:
- The heels should be resting on the floor of the vehicle to prevent overloading of the lumbar spine.
- Be sure to reach the pedals well so that the knees are still slightly bent. Keep your knees at hip level so you do not overload the lumbar spine.
- Keep your arms slightly bent while holding the steering wheel. The correct position is as follows: stretch the arms and see if the handwheel is at the height of the wrists. In this way, the neck muscles are relieved and, in the event of a frontal collision, no injuries occur.
The biggest problem is also when traffic to and from the body is immobile for many minutes. This can lead to intense pain and great physical and mental stress. Therefore, it is essential to exercise in the car, avoiding the muscular tensions in traffic.
To do this, when you are still, try to move your legs and feet, stretching and folding as much as possible. Also, with your feet flat on the floor, move your calf on tiptoe. This activates the muscle pump that allows the blood to circulate better, avoiding pain in this region.
To relieve the spine, make lateral movements and stretch it by joining both arms forward and pulling. Take the moment to stretch the neck, remaining about 20 seconds in each position: pulling with one hand to the right, then left, back and forth. Finishing with rotational movements.
Do not remain at all times with your hands on the steering wheel, as well as fatigue the muscles, can cause pain in the arms and spine. Relax by releasing your arms along the length of the body and lengthening your wrists up and down. In some pauses, circular wrist movements are also recommended.
Indispensable during any season, sunscreen needs to be applied correctly to ensure efficacy and prevent various problems, including premature aging, skin dryness, precancerous lesions and even even skin cancer. To do this, you need to follow some important guidelines. According to the Brazilian Society of Dermatology (SBD), the most suitable Sun Protection Factor (SPF) for the Brazilian population is at least 30.
Awareness about using sunscreen to ensure healthy skin always makes a difference and many people are constantly on the lookout for making a mistake when it comes to applying the product. However, some bad habits, which may go unnoticed, persist and even compromise the effectiveness of the sunscreen, leaving the skin unprotected.